FANNIERE FRERES

The house of Fannière Frères was led by Auguste (1818-1900) and Joseph (1822-1897), brothers who were trained by their uncle, the celebrated J.H. Fauconnier, silversmith for King Charles X and the royal family. Auguste also studied sculpture at the school of fine arts, l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, in 1838 and exhibited at fairs from 1841 to 1876. The two brothers opened their workshop together, working for the great silver artisans of Paris such as Lebrun, Odiot, Froment-Meurice as well as Christofle. The house received two first class medals of distinguished merit at the World's Fair of 1855. Determined to exhibit their work under their own names, thereby asserting the technical virtuosity that made their reputation, they were both top-ranked French artists at the London World's Fair of 1862, and awarded a medal. Earning the protection of Emperor Napoleon III with numerous official orders, they achieved great fame, were appointed knights of the Legion of honor (chevaliers de la Légion d'honneur), and earned, at the World's Fair of 1867, the gold medal. Their last appearance at the World's Fair (1900), was highly remarkable. They exhibited a silver beer set, which is now in the Musée d'Orsay. According to Christofle, the Fannière brothers were exceptional because their silver work was made entirely with their own hands, from the composition to the chasing work. BIBLIOGRAPHY (FRENCH) L'Univers des bronzes, Yves Devaux, Ed. Pygmalion, Paris, 1978, p° 200. L'Art en France sous le Second Empire, Paris, Grand-Palais, 1979, p° 173.
 
 
 
Produits